Friday, July 27, 2012

Much to Come Summer

Hello my dear readers, now that school is over, I'm baaaaaaack, whether you like it or not. I hope you like the new blog header that I made at 2 in the morning .. last night? No, I did NOT draw the picture. If I could draw that well, do you think I'd waste all my time writing? Probably would. I just noticed that the girl isn't blushing. Well that kills.

I haven't been just admiring the header all day (just all night!), I actually had plans to blog big stuff. And I mean BIG stuff! For starters, I got my 3rd volume in the Nintendo Power's magazine subscription based thing. Now, I couldn't read it right away because I had three adorable but way too energetic nephews over and so I didn't touch it till a good.. 4 hours later. I was lying in bed flipping through the pages when I noticed a wee little thing that made me very angry for some reason and here it is:


Yes guys, Harvest Moon Land of Beginnings is coming to AMERICA and at E3 tomorrow, more information was to be revealed to us non Japanese speaking turnip hungry fanatics. I, an in explainable die hard Harvest Moon fan should be thrilled and I was! I was positively thrilled and extremely happy that my niche game had made it into a magazine at last, the entire reason why I subscribed to Nintendo Power in the first place (or at least a large reason)! Then came a realization at how small a page Harvest Moon occupied. Then further realization, I didn't even see the page until I had flipped back thinking I had missed something on another game. Then, a little perplexed I decided to ignore it because, well, Harvest Moon is well known but not well loved by the masses. It was to be expected. Hell, my other magazine, GameInfomer, the self-proclaimed world's #1 game magazine, didn't even MENTION Harvest moon and was instead filled with testosterone ridden games with a few other stuff dotted here and there. 

I was cool, cool as a cucumber with its ass smoking, that is until I read the page. Yes I am truly grateful that you writers at Nintendo Power decided to put this niche game in two thirds of your page along with a whole mess of advertising, but this old series is now hitting its 15th year. Here let me emphasize this. 15TH YEAR! Not many games make it for so long and during its 15th ANNIVERSARY, when even the company that is notoriously known for delaying the translation of any game (yes you , we love you but its true) has amazed all Harvest Moon fans (and there are at least a good 200,000 of them) by releasing the game within a year of its Japanese release. You might think this is ridiculous, but this is unheard of  for Natsume and a huge step. Whether they'll keep up with their announcement, who knows, but the effort for Harvest Moon's 15th ANNIVERSARY is surely commendable. And what does Nintendo Power do?

Surely, a magazine that has Nintendo's own name on it must know that for the past 15 YEARS, ALL (okay excluding maybe like 3-4ish) of the Harvest Moon games were on Nintendo consoles. And knowing how crazy Harvest Moon fanatics can be (being a crazy one myself) maybe Nintendo would like to know that I am even saving my broke ass's money to buy a Wii for this series.  My complaint: Why does a series that have lasted for so long and with such dedicated fans get only a two thirds of a page of a magazine for its big 15th BIRTHDAY!

Aside: Harvest Moon is older than a good chunk of gamers! Think of that!

New games from squareenix get entire PAGES for their stuff. Pokemon gets several pages in every magazine even AFTER the game has been released. An old game that most modern gamers didn't even know about, Kid Icarus, continues to get pages for its long long awaited sequel. I get it, they're more in demand by the crowd and so its a company's job to deliver. But seriously?!?!

I know my picture taking skills suck but take a look at the image I posted up there. Keep looking. Now you'll notice that on the magazine page, the only images are teeny screenshots of the game in Japanese. The only real picture you get is the female character (what about the male? this isn't only a girl's game despite the stats) and a cow. By and by, I declare, LOOK HERE! Who the hell is going to notice this? I DIDN'T notice it at first and the only reason I recognized it was harvest moon was because I stalked this game for months at a time and recognized the girl. Can everyone do that? NO! Does everyone do that? HELL NO!

And to add insult to injury look at the advertisements! At the left of the page, taking the full length down hot dog wise, is a panel with a little quiz. You know, the little quizzes that are on cereal boxes that no one gives a second shit about? Hell, I'll honestly admit, I saw the quiz first because I LOVE reading cereal boxes... everyone has weird things they like to do in the morning and that's mine. Then to knock it all off, they add the announcement of a new color to the 3DS! Very nice, but seriously?!?! I'm livid. I'm riling myself up just thinking about it. And then there's the next page. MORE ADVERTISEMENT. It never ENDS! How many of you guys actually saw this game announcement? Bet none of you did huh? Raise of hands, come on!

-Run off into a corner and scream like a fanatic that I am-

This is why I have to subscribe to Famitsu, the legendary Japanese gaming magazine. They at least grace a couple of pages about Harvest Moon and announce its development process and everything with each edition when possible. But alas, I can't read Japanese and it costs half a grand to subscribe to the thing and have it shipped here. I'll show hard evidence to prove that I'm not spitting liar's fire here.









 












Look at these beautifully illustrated pages. Look at the rich history that is obviously involved in Harvest Moon/ Rune Factory lifespan. Look! You can actually see the many games of Harvest Moon and what I am showing you isn't even half of it! I will buy Famistu one day, when I have finished my schooling but till then I can only look at the pictures and sigh. 

Okay, my rant is done. 

Now tomorrow is E3 and I'm extremely excited for it. So excited that I'm going to actually post up anything I find remotely interesting on it on here. So many games are going to be released this summer that I can't simply wait for.

Animal Crossing 3DS


Harvest Moon A New Beginning (no duh)


Pokemon Black and White 2




Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance


Dude the list goes on and on and on! Okay not really because I'm a very specific type of gamer, but even those mentioned above should keep me occupied for my whole short summer break! I have so much to blog about and I will I tell you I will! I'll blog about my nephews another day and go into specifics later because this is already a very wordy post. 

I'll finish with this video of a animist I found. His jokes, I find personally very crude and not funny and would probably be more appealing to the pre pubescent to early pubescent crowd, but I do admire his animation skills and the level of sarcasm in his voice when he jokes about video games. I present to you, egoraptor, in all his sarcastical glory! Check it out, maybe you'll find him funny.



Always Guree

P.S. This is from my older Blog Gureelove. It's not placed on the Guree because it was when the Guree was still down for construction, but it has a lot of gaming information and so I placed it here. I hope you guys enjoy :D


No comments:

Post a Comment