Saturday, January 18, 2014

Bravely Default Demo Review

Good morning viewers, I'm so glad to have you here today, I haven't posted on here in so long, so it's wonderful to see you all again! Today I'm going to be giving you a review on the game demo for Square Enix's game Bravely Default: Flying Fairy!



So I'm going to start by telling you how excited I am for this game's release which will be on February 7th 2014 for North America. Went ahead and pre-ordered it myself, going to turn that preorder into the collectors edition, get myself an art book and some AR cards. Now I know Guree already posted up an impression on the demo not but a few days ago, but I figured I could throw out my own impressions on the game demo as well. First off the game has already been out in Japan for quite a while, since October 11th 2012, so it's good to see the game has been localized to the rest of the world, unfortunately it seems that North America is getting it latest, in fact we're the only ones who still haven't had it released! No worries though, our patience will shine through the dark and we'll get our hands on the game soon enough!

With this demo you get a fairly long several hour special game segment that's sort of like a standalone game, filled with side quests, monster fighting, and job changes. Unfortunately we don't get to see any real storyline or plot through the demo, but at the same time I'm glad, since it gives us the opportunity to see the characters and the story when it comes out. The demo seems to be more of a showcasing of the games mechanics, while also providing the player with some bonuses for playing the demo when the full title arrives. The demo has you run around doing generic side quests and fighting generic bosses, and provides you with a selection of character classes to switch between to complete these objectives.

The mechanics to the game are fairly simple, taking on the basic turn based rpg style and adding some bonus features such as changing character classes outside battle, carrying over abilities, and going between brave and default stances in combat. I'm going to start by saying that the job system in this game reminds me heavily of the one featured in Final Fantasy III, which was one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, so I very much enjoyed getting a chance at changing classes between the characters. The default and brave stances are a major component to the gameplay which basically act as an action point system, and can potentially be used to provide extra actions per turn, leading to strategic usage of your actions in combat. The game isn't too risk taking and provides for a standard turn based rpg game, which I know many of you enjoy.

Art I've seen for this game has been very beautiful, and the concepts based behind the game are wonderful. The in-game graphics remind me fondly of the remakes of Final Fantasy III & IV on the DS, which happens to be a fairly simple minimalist style. Showcasing the wonderful graphical capabilities of the 3DS, the game can be nice to gaze upon in its' simple glory. In my humble opinion the game's demo seems to have an enjoyable soundtrack and hopefully the full game will share in that aspect.

Bravely Default's demo was an enjoyable experience overall, and I look forward to playing the full game when it arrives on American soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment